Sunday, May 26, 2013

Herbal Tinctures/Extracts

I hope you all are enjoying a long weekend and the kickoff to summer!  One of the things on my "to do" list for the long weekend was to make tinctures with the abundance of herbs I have growing.  I planted everything in containers this year and they have thrived so well. 
Tinctures,  also known as extracts,  are very easy to make.  Tinctures are concentrated herbal preparations made using chopped herbs and grain alcohol, glycerin, or vinegars.  This method maintains the beneficial properties of the herbs. They are absorbed into your system quickly and are easy to administer.  You simply add the prepared tincture to water, tea, or juice.  Tinctures have a long shelf life making them a great addition to your herbal apothecary.
I made three tinctures today: Sage, Borage, and Chickweed.  I also decanted the Cleavers tincture that I made back in April. 

To make a tincture, simply cut your fresh herbs and wash and dry them.  You'll want to make sure they are dry. 
Chop up coarsely and fill a 1/2 pint jar with the herb.  Cover the herb with grain alcohol, glycerin or vinegar.  I used alcohol for mine. 
Take note as the herbs may settle a bit and you may need to add more alcohol. 
Cover with a tight fitting lid.  Label your herb with the name, date and the extraction medium.  Store in a cool, dark place for 6 weeks.  Be sure to shake on  regular basis if you remember. 
When you are ready to decant, simply pour the liquid through a cheese cloth and then into a dark amber or cobalt dropper bottle.  Depending on the type of herb, I usually pour mine through the cheesecloth a few times.  Be sure to label the tincture with the name, dosage and use.  I also like to put the date on my label so I know its age. 
You can also use smaller 4 oz. jars if you don't want to make as much. 


Do you have an abundance of herbs growing this year?  Give tinctures a try.  You'll see how easy it is and what a joy it is to create your own medicine.

I'll be sharing the uses for the above tinctures soon.  I'm also going to try infusing some herbs in honey.  What are some of your favorite ways to use the herbs you have growing? 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terra!! Yay...you have my blog button on here. That is awesome!! Welcome to by class...we are gonna have one great year!!:)

    ReplyDelete